Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Fine dining at La Caille (with a bunch of Jr. High kids)

Every year the French club at the Jr. High has a field trip to one of Utah’s finest dining establishments, La Caille. Never wanting to miss an opportunity to chaperone a field trip, and never wanting to disappoint my child, I agreed to go and participate in the eating fest. The grounds are teeming with wild life, ie: swans, peacocks, ducks, bunnies, etc., so you do have to watch your step, if you know what I mean. ;)

I am worried, however, that questions will arise when my other children ask why I didn’t go to some of their field trips. Example: “Mommy, why didn’t you go to my 4th grade field trip?” “Well honey, I was so busy vacuuming that I just could not break away for that trip to the dump. I’m sorry sweetie, maybe next time.”



No, we didn't have dessert first, I just forgot to put this one on first, which is what you have to do with this lame blog. I think this is Bananas Foster, notice the flaming liquid coming out of the dish?



Our long winter that seems to be hanging on still has made the trees think they can still be dormant. I'm ready for some leaves.
Nathaniel's friend, Blake

Nathaniel, Brad, Blake

I wonder if those husks are in the tooth family?


Ahh, the dining room.

They were smart to put this behind lock and key with a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds around.


I wonder if Nathaniel was embarrassed by the amount of pictures I was taking of him?


The kids at our table were very polite and well mannered.


The second course was Escargot, a peculiar French delicacy that kind of freaks me out every time I eat it. I always hesitate before I chow down. I seem to always think of the origins of the dish and all the ones I try and kill in my garden every year. I guess it's the slimy trail I have a hard time getting past. I told Nathaniel to look scared. He looks more confused than anything.
ready to pop in the delicacy

"Oh that was so good!"


We had a winged friend stop by outside the window we were sitting next to.


This is the front desk


The interior of La Caille is warm, elegant and inviting.



4 comments:

Bekki said...

Looks like lots of fun! I so remember going to La Caille with my French class. Can't say that I love escargot, though. ;)

Bekki

Callisto said...

Oh, I most certainly love escargot. Yummy stuff, that.

Maryanne said...

Oh, it's such a bummer to not have a kid in French anymore. I've already told Haylie that she WILL be talking French in high school. Who cares if she wants to or not, I want to go to La Caille!!

Kelly said...

That sounds like the best reason to take the French class. What a tasty dinner. Escargot is one of those things that it's best to not know what you're eating. It's not too bad, but I can see what you mean about having trouble getting past the things you see in your garden.