Monday, March 3, 2008

I love New York

Manhatten Island as viewed from the Statue of Liberty


On Valentines day Tom and I went to New York City with John and Maryanne to help her celebrate her 40th birthday. We had such a great time and loved every minute of our stay. We saw 3 Broadway plays, shopped in China town, ate delicious food, saw somes sights and had an overall fun time.

John and Tom look like locals here. ;)


The Brooklyn Bridge
This bridge is cool.

The Subway is so handy. Maryanne and I look like twins with our white coats.
This torch was taken down in 1984 because it was having some weather issues.

I think some people mistake her nose as the Blarney Stone.
Maryanne was taking advantage of the spectacular views and angles with her camera as well.
The gulls were cooperating nicely for me.

Maryanne scheduled our tour of the Statue and boy was I glad. When we got there, there were no more tickets available. Going up inside was really neat. It gave you a great perspective.

It looks like it was cold, huh?

I love the flavors and colors of New York. We feasted in Little Italy, I ate this delicious gnochi dish after having an authentic Ceasars salad. (YUM) John and Maryanne had something tantalizing that I wanted to eat as well. ;) After spending a cold day visiting Lady Liberty, we were hungry and ready for some of New York's best. We didn't end it there. We went across the street and raided a European bakery and got some totally yummy pastries.

A visit to MoMa
We went for one reason alone: to see this masterpiece below

This painting needs no introduction. Vincent van Gogh owned this canvas! The Starry Night is one of my favorite paintings, along with about 50 million other people. Part of the reason is his story I think. It's all so tragic!
This painting actually moves. You can see it in this angle I think.
These statues were begging for a photo op.
Picasso, I don't get him. This was actually one of the good ones of his. Some of his pieces there were ghastly, absolutely ugly and not appealing to the eye. ugh
This painting was all by itself in a small hall way, not in with all the other artwork, kind of like it was put into timeout. I thought it deserved better treatment than that because it was one of the few beautiful pieces on the one floor we visited. So I took this picture. I've always loved this work, titled Christina's World by Andrew Wyeth, 1948
It's funny how this is considered art. Maybe because Warhol had crazy looking hair and people liked it. I should have taken more pictures of some of the "art" so I could always remember how much I was snickering about it all.

Times Square is so busy all of the time. Even in the middle of the night.

This cute little pigeon was just walking around in the airport as we were leaving.
Thank you John and Maryanne letting us share your weekend with you!

3 comments:

Kelly said...

What fun! I love that you got to be there for Valentine's Day and to celebrate Maryanne's big birthday. I better got o bed because it's 11:13 and my comment is being left on your blog....and I'm trying to impress you with my sweet sleeping early skills.

Good night, Sis. I loved all the Statue of Liberty pictures especially.

Maryanne said...

We had a blast - sooo glad you guys came with us!! Your pictures look great and make me want to go back.....NOW!

Callisto said...

That picture of dad at the top is so cute.