Sunday, December 17, 2006

Dutch Christmas





The VanDenBerghe Christmas party was held the first week of December and we had some great food. It was done in a Dutch theme. I made Hutspot which is a typical dish from Holland that has mashed up potatoes, onions and carrots with roasted beef over the top. I also made a gravy to pour over it. Morgan made stroopwafels with our new wafel iron. They were so tasty. We found the iron on the internet, as well as the recipe. People were so suprised to have home made stroopwafels. We had dutch cheeses with little brodtjes and meat, also some split pea soup, which is also a very common dish from Holland. The boter koek was a favorite there as well and even the american doughnuts got gobbled up. But the best surprise at the party was when Sinterklaas came and gave the children their gifts. The kids were so excited to see him and his trusty companion, Zwaarte Piet.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Yay, Julie!!!! You're getting the hang of adding to our blog. I love it. Now I can see my cute little nieces and nephews pictures more often, and they're not GIGANTIC on my screen, where I can only see an eyeball, then a shoulder, then a torso, etc.

I LOVE the Dutch themed Christmas party. I can't believe you had Zwaarte Piet there too. What an amazing family. Morgan looks cute with her cousin.

Kelly said...

Sorry that I said OUR blog. I meant to say YOUR blog.